[CAUT] Need advice on Mold Remediation for S&S Grand

don at auwartermusic.com don at auwartermusic.com
Sun Aug 29 10:38:59 MDT 2010

All,

I have begun servicing a Schafer & Sons SS60 Grand.  All visual inside surfaces
(including lid) have a thin layer of mold.  I test-cleaned a small area of the
soundboard with "Cory Coconut Cleaner" and was able to remove the mold
completely from the lacquer finish.  I also tested "Cory Speed Dust" (what I had
with me) on a small area of the plate and was able to remove the tiny black
spores but their "footprints" remained in the lacquer finish.

The piano was first used in a old converted house and later in the basement of a
college building.  Both environments had high moisture levels.  The piano is
currently housed in a new building where Temp & RH levels remain fairly
constant.

Would appreciate advice on any successful techniques for removing the mold (of
course, without damage to the surfaces).

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Donald Auwarter
- Piano Technician
- Serving the Upstate of South Carolina