[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 08:54:57 MDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Aaron Bousel <abousel at comcast.net> wrote:

> Our department (UMass Amherst) is in the process of taking bids on some new
> verticals. They've received bids for Yamaha, Hailun, Suzuki and Sauter. I
> just received the following in an email from the department chair:
>
> ================
> "What I need is any specific reasons why Hailin or Suzuki are not at the
> Yamaha level.  Everyone so far agrees we need to go w/ the Yamahas, but I
> need specific reasons why the Suzuki or Hailin's don't work---poor tone,
> action is known for too request repairs, or??? "
> ================
>
> This is a state school and they may be required to go with the lowest bid
> unless they can show good cause not to. The models in question are:
> Hailun HU 116 vs. Yamaha P22
> Suzuki AU8 vs. Hailun HU5, vs. Yamaha U1
>
> This is the first time since I've been here that we're buying pianos and
> also the first time the department chair has actually consulted me on a
> piano issue.
>
> Have any of you had any direct experience with these pianos and can answer
> his questions? Beyond siting Yamaha's reputation and track record (and the
> fact that we have some 40 year old verticals that are still in service) I'm
> not sure how to respond to his request. As you can see from his email, this
> is not a matter of deciding which piano they want, but of justifying the
> extra expense to the higher ups.
>
> thanks for you help,
> Aaron

> Aaron Bousel
> Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
> abousel at comcast.net
> (413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)

My experience with schools buying pianos is usually someone in the music
department, those who will be using the pianos, has an opinion. They
frequently want to see & play the pianos offered.
My experience with Yamaha is that this is possible, not so with Suzuki, last
I heard(2 years ago)they were only available via internet sales. I am not
familiar with the Hailun, except for those pianos they build under other
names.

My point is if the pianos aren't coming through a dealership, where some
sort of prep can be expected & there is someone local to stand behind it,
that would be a red flag for me.

Mike

--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service