[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Kidwell, Ted W kidwellt at saclink.csus.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:08:25 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

To me this sounds like a friction issue. Here are a few thoughts.

1. Check the key friction carefully with the stack off. Put a lead or two on the distal side of the key to balance out the front leads and SLOWLY move the key up and down to feel for friction. Make sure there is a slight amount of wiggle at the front pins. Confirm that the key drops down of its own weight when lifted up on the balance rail pins.
2. confirm that your hammer flanges are below 2g and your rep flanges are below 4g.
3. brush and profelt the rep cushions. Polish the capstans and key pins.
4. If you have already controlled these friction points your problem is probably at the knuckle to rep lever interface. Take out those old reps and sand the top of the lever where the knuckle contacts it. Make sure to get the top of the jack as well. Use 220 and follow up with 600 grit. Then paint on some Dag or McLube 1708. If you don't have that stuff us a stick of graphite or a pencil. Be sure to burnish it in with a metal rod until it has a mirror finish. I use my capstan wrench.
5. Now check your DW and UW. Be sure to lift the hammers on either side of the one you are testing so you are sure they are not rubbing. For DW, shoot for 51g or so in the bass tapering up to 46g or so in the high treble. Keep the UW around 24g throughout- not more. When done quickly recheck DWs with all hammers down to find any rubbing hammers.
6. I am sure you will wind up taking a significant number of leads out of those keys. If you are not sure how you are doing in the inertia department weigh the keys by balancing them at the middle rail hole and weighing the fronts. When you are done the front weights will taper from around 40g in the bass to around 10g in the high treble.
7. That is a great feeling action and you can do it without resorting to geometry changes or touchweight gizmos. It will take a whole day but when it is done it is done.

Hope this works for you!

Ted Kidwell, RPT
California State University, Sacramento
Capistrano Hall, rm. 153