[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Lyre Regulation After Reconditioning

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:50:01 MDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Ed Foote wrote:

> if we hit the pedal while we have a key depressed,(it happens),

	Actually, it happens most of the time with pedaling. The pianist
plays the note and follows it (very quickly most of the time) with the
pedal. So that if it isn't regulated somewhat as Ed describes, there
will always be a feel of kickback through the key. Very annoying. So
is the bump because the upstop rail has to be set too high to
compensate, felt when the pedal isn't used. And you can get a bit of
both by playing the note without the pedal (bump), and then depressing
the pedal after a slight pause (kickback), a double whammy. "The
Steinway touch" <G>. I regulate the upstop to the pedal, within very
tight parameters: the damper levers have no play except what is
available from compression of the felt. Which still allows about 2-3
mm play when the pedal isn't engaged.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu