[CAUT] U. of Northern Iowa position

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Aug 13 10:26:20 MDT 2010

On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Michael Magness wrote:

> I believe the above could easily apply to any thinking person
> persuing something such as being a Piano Technician. All of the
> above describes everything we do, I believe you can agree that techs
> focus on things most other people don't that we "get along" with
> musicians of all sorts, communicate & understand them. We also
> "perform" publicly every day in all sorts of venues.

	My point was not that a music degree should be an absolute
requirement. I merely see why it is used as a screening device.
Certainly there are many people who may have any of the attributes I
connected with a music degree without actually having the degree. The
same things could be said about requiring RPT. There are plenty of
piano technicians without RPT who are eminently qualified. But it
makes some sense for an institution to require it or give preference
to it.
	In the case of RPT, having that certification does mean having passed
tests that ensure a certain degree of knowledge and skill, but I think
more importantly it identifies people who are serious about their
profession. They are members of their professional organization, have
been interested and active enough at least to take the test. They have
ready access to additional knowledge and training. If they are active
members, they are likely to be head and shoulders above non-member
techs, as they will be familiar with a wide range of techniques and
solutions.
	It is also quite possible that an individual RPT is someone who once
took the tests and has coasted ever since. So there are no guarantees,
just as there are no guarantees with a music degree. But given a wide
open pool of candidates, the degree and the RPT can be helpful in
identifying the most promising candidates. That said, anyone applying
for these jobs ought to take the requirements with a grain of salt,
and put his or her best face forward. If you don't have the degree,
point out what experiences you have that might be equivalent, for
instance. Universities usually require a doctorate for all faculty
positions, but they do hire people without doctorates on occasion,
based on what the candidate presents them.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel