[CAUT] Fred's rebuttal and apology

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 12 11:22:15 MDT 2010

Fred,
Your apology was not necessary. I understand your position and why you would write it. The tone was expected. What you mistake for a chip on my shoulder is something else entirely. I must address, though, one point you make.

It seems to me that respect must be a mutual event. What I have observed in my approximately 25 years in the CAUT world is a great ignorance of our work which is the source of zero respect coming from the faculty and institutions toward our craft and the persons who hold our positions. If there were the least amount of respect, we wouldn't be seen as second class citizens in the compensation department. Some of this is our own fault and based on many of our own misgivings. Anyone who does not see this blatant disrespect towards us is blind to it and probably lacks self-respect needed to see it. Many among us drink the coolaid that we are considered colleagues among the faculty. While there may be a few music faculty who are more grounded and I certainly acknowledge rare exceptions to the generalization, my observations over the years are that we just aren't welcome in their class of people beyond our professional obligations to them.

What I have attempted to do on this list is to be the voice trying to identify and build that self respect among our members. Surely, if I were going on a job interview, I would not speak with the same tone or carry the same attitude. The language I use here is for us. Not them.

I appreciate that you would not hire me as a CAUT. I lost my interest in being a slave to people who do not respect me, the well-being of my family or our craft long ago.  But I continue to comment on this list, hoping some of what I say is contagious. That is the only way things will ever change - when we quit rolling over and being doormats. I do so not for myself, but for the future of our craft and those who follow in our shoes.

Jeff