[CAUT] It's sooo nasty humid!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 12 09:12:32 MDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> I went over to one of our venues and lowered the pianos from A-444
> to 440.  It's so humid, that everything is sticking. Soft pedal
> action wont return the action to rest (temp fix: loosen the cheek
> block screws)  Lots of squeeks and groans I've never heard from
> these instruments before. Since they get moved so much, I can't
> really get a DC on them.
>
> It's supposed to relax starting this Friday.  School starts a week
> from Monday and it starts up with a bang!
>
> Should I hold off til next week or trudge into it now?  First
> recital in 2 weeks.

	Yep, late summer early fall is the worst time of year most places.
Here, every single piano is quite sharp and unusably out of tune with
itself, raucous and nasty. I start in four weeks before semester,
running through all the pianos. The tuning doesn't hold real well, but
it is a lot better starting point than if I started later -in which
case I'd never catch up. They are still absorbing moisture and going
sharp through September, so what I do early will go sharp and come
back in about October, which makes it better than if I tune at the top
of the moisture content. The critical pianos I'll be seeing often
enough to keep them up.
	About the cheekblocks binding the keyframe, you could install
adjustable guides, but it's easier to just insert a paper shim in
summer and pull it out when it gets dry. Take a sticky note, cut the
sticky part into a strip and apply it to the bottom of the cheekblock.
That way it stays in place for the season while you pull the action.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht