[CAUT] U. of Northern Iowa position

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 12 07:38:18 MDT 2010

Fred,
Thank you for your thoughts. I think to a large degree you miss my point.

First, (yes, I read the advertisement) the idea that somehow 3 or even 6 years of experience as a professional piano technician could replace the music degree requirement in the job description reinforces the absurdity of the requirement in the first place.

Second, I am not discouraging "hanging out" in the music department. Perhaps my experience was unique, I don't know. There's no reason why it has to be. But as a business major, I spent WAY more time in the music department, even switching majors for a time to music before realizing, "nah, I can learn what I need to learn of music as a business major and take music major classes that MATTER (applied lessons, performing ensembles, theory, etc.) as electives."

But I ALSO learned quite a lot about what goes on around the music department by working as a student assistant to the piano technician. There is no reason why a young technician or one interested in becoming a CAUT could not just as easily learn the attributes you describe serving as a mentored assistant, contract tech or apprentice in a properly staffed CAUT piano maintenance program. And one will, or should, become the well rounded person you describe in ANY degree program. But as far as writing reports and proposals - those are NOT taught in the music school. They're taught in other degree programs, though, such as business administration, engineering, commmunications, etc. But seriously, how much education does one need to write a coherent report or proposal? And I have FIRST hand knowledge that earning a communications degree still doesn't mean that you can write coherently. Your ideology here is complete bunk.

Learning practice room etiquette and what each room is used for? Seriously? We need a music degree for this? And it can't be learned in a month on the job? If such is the case, I'd suggest such a person shouldn't even pursue being a piano technician much less a CAUT. I mean, consider how many really good tuners are out there doing contract work for small colleges. Can't you get more or less a feel for what pianos are being used for when you walk in the room? When you're led around the building by whoever is introducing you to the job, do they not say, "this is the piano pedagogy room. It is used for teaching teachers how to teach piano. It needs to be kept in concert condition. It is available for you 3 hours a week."????

You wrote:
>I will also
> note that many job descriptions include this qualification
> as at least a plus, if not a requirement. That fact might
> lead one to suspect that there were practical reasons for
> including it.

Yes, there are a number of practical reasons. It is the incorrect assumption that piano technology stems from musicality. And it is the belief widely held by music academics that people without MUSIC degrees are ignorant and incapable of enlightenment on a higher level.

And you just demonstrated it to all of us.
Jeff