[CAUT] U. of Northern Iowa position

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 11 16:29:46 MDT 2010

Based on my experience and education background, it is a misconception that having (or pursuing) a music degree gives one a better understanding of music and musicians, nor does it mean one can or cannot play. The collegiate system of earning academic credit hours is a grossly inefficient method of teaching music. Ask those folks who wrote that music Mr. Schnabel was speaking of where they got their music degrees.

Pursuing a music degree can help those who are inclined, but at the same time the collegiate system may be also guilty of holding them back.

Jeff Tanner