[CAUT] Sostenuto Trap Lever Repair

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Wed Aug 11 00:11:11 MDT 2010

Check out the attached photos of a 1970 Steinway D sostenuto trap lever
which is cracked the long way and with the direction of stress.  Someone
tried to repair it at some point by wrapping it with packing tape (no glue).

What are the chances of effecting a successful glue repair?  I know I've
been told many times that a glue repair is stronger than the original wood,
but will it really take the stress of the leverage applied by the sostenuto
pedal along such a long break?

I just finished loading it up with Titebond and clamping tightly with an
aluminum rail on one side for support, and a couple small clamps holding
portions that extend to a point, etc.  Figure I'll give it 24 hours clamped,
see what happens.  Any bets?  If it doesn't work, I guess the school will
just have to spring for a new one.  If this piano ends up being used for
recitals, would buying new be more reliable than a repair?

Also, the half-rounded part that interfaces with the other wooden lever
seems to be covered with something thick and black.  Is this just old grease
of some kind, or is there supposed to be leather there and it's
disintegrated?
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician