[CAUT] Schnabel

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Tue Aug 10 12:25:08 MDT 2010

Hi, Fred, Laurence,

Some years ago, I worked with Karl Ulrich Schnabel (who was at UCSB
at the time) for a series of master classes and seminars for which he
was one of the "Master" teachers.  Although it's been a fairly long
time, I think that what Fred notes was certainly a major part of how
he approached things.

Clearly, there was also the concept of the perfection of technique,
but that was, at least as far as I remember, always secondary to
understanding that each piece (sometimes each passage within a piece)
may well have "something different to say" each time it is
approached; even by the same pianist playing the same piano.

We're fortunate, I think, to have a fairly large number of examples
of how this can unfold over a lifetime of performance in the number
of recordings we have of some very different pianists over a very
long span of time.  Even making huge allowances for all the different
variables that come into any performance or recording situation, as
well as differences of health, stamina, etc, different performers
obviously perform differently at different points in their career.

Warm regards.

Horace