[CAUT] Keys

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Fri Aug 6 18:04:50 MDT 2010

CORY's stuff is ok. Mild surfactant with vanilla fragrance.  $$$$

Standard summer procedure is to clean all the keys on all the pianos. Caveat is once you get the sides badly stained they have to be scraped/sanded/naptha'd etc.Although this does take many years  YTBD, I find that they clean up pretty easily albeit tie consuming. While I have the keys off I also determine the bushing(s) condition and service accordingly.   Note:  Pianos are 6 yrs old.
My current elixir of preference is Simple Green mixed up in a 32oz spray bottle.  $ - $$  Comes concentrate 1 gal (about $10.00) and dilute as necessary.
Spray on the sides and wipe off the crud. Avg. cleaning time 30 mins/vert  50/grand.Focus on the edges of the sharps and touch up the worn wood (white scuff areas of the sharps) with marker/touch up lacquer, nicorsine mix, etc.
Bushing servicing (proV) +45mins plus overnight drying time if and when necessary.

Best,Gerry CousinsWCUPA

Does anyone have a favorite way to clean
this kind of dirt off of keys?  I’ve cleaned many like this, but
never where I was completely happy with the result.

dp

David
 M. Porritt, RPT

3024 County Road