[CAUT] When to Restring..changing to agraffes...

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:14:43 MDT 2010

Tim and Ron;

It sounds as if you two are coming to a similar conclusion from opposite
ends of the spectrum.....like rebuildings you both do :>)  Remember that
both your pianos all come out sounding and playing most excellently. <G>
Who's better? that is in the ears of the beholder :>)  Peace be with you
both!

Agraffe noises are annoying in any sense, and I think it comes down to who
makes them, what their materials are and how much attention is given to
them in the process.  Now, do you both rehab existing, or replace...Every
time? or sometimes?  This is what started my questions on restringing,
amongst other issues that have fallen by the way-side on this blog.  I
usually replace, but when the budget doesn't allow, use what's there. I
agree that sometimes using the existing parts is the way to go with a
rehab of sorts as that is what Steve Brady taught me to do (20 years ago
while at Univ. of WA)....) The pianos I work on are getting quite old, so
a 50-60-70 and even 80 year old grand might just need new parts like
agraffes.  There has got to be a life time to these things, eh?  When do
you call it quits, replace, or just use what's there?  sure, I'd love to
put a new soundboard, pinblock and bridges into every one of these old
fellas, but I just can't. I have to make them go as long as possible with
the least expense. Donations are getting fewer and fewer these days .We
have no grand newer than 25-30 years old!  Sure it's time to replace!  Any
doners out there??

All in the best for the piano.
Paul