[CAUT] When to restring...

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 14:51:20 MDT 2010

Jeff writes:

> Maybe it's our part of the world, but in the tenor section, I tend to
> experience strings getting caught up ting ting tinging through agraffes long
> before there's a problem with them moving through the felt.

Are you sure it's the agraffe?     I used to think so too, until I put some
protec on the agraffe and nothing happened, then I put it on the felt and
all of a sudden the string was moving smoothly.   I have   one 1936 Bechstein
M that was brought over by a family as they fled Germany right before the
Nazi's got to them.   String tinging was always a real problem, then I tried
the Pro-tek on the felt and it tunes just fine.

Ed Foote RPT