[CAUT] When to restring...

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Aug 3 11:39:56 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

I'm interested in what people say here...

It certainly depends on a lot of factors, but we restring when strings start breaking a lot, and/or there is other work needed anyway. In Utah rust is not an issue, but in teaching studios at about 7 years or so it seems strings start popping. We sometimes do the upper two sections only. At about 15 years or so (on our studio Bs) they all seem to need new bass and plain wire. Now, that's here in dry Utah, with pianos that are played a LOT!

 Most S&S don't need new tuning pins until the second restringing. It's a pain, but we treat the first restringing like normal string break replacements (i.e. don't take the pin out) We have 7 Ms from 1964 and torque is still very good. The block will tell you...

On a full restring we replace bridge pins, but on partial we put one drop of CA. Works for us. (Eliminates most false beats)

We never replace agraffes, mainly because we refurbish them like Paul Revenko-Jones does. WAY better than new ones because new ones aren't shaped correctly either. Waste of time to just replace them.

That's some of what we do here. About 4-5 pianos per years. Make students do it <G>.

Best,
Jim Busby BYU