[CAUT] Vertigris on Action Rail

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 1 19:14:53 MDT 2010

I think various oils or waxes can interact with the brass to make verdigris. It could be in the flanges, as well as in wax used to adhere the cloth.
Copper is very reactive, and historically there were several artists pigments and colors called "verdigris." One version was made by soaking copper in some kind of tree resin, to produce a green resin that could be thinned with turpentine.
My metallurgy reference says that verdigris can form just by exposing pure copper to moist air. Brass is less reactive than copper.
Cheap woodwind instruments are sometimes made of maple impregnated with paraffin. I've seen wax exude form them when they were left in the sun.
I assume something similar can happen with paraffin impregnated piano parts if the piano gets warm enough.
It also may be that the chemical interaction of the copper and wax or oil produces an expanded product (such as happens with oxidizing key leads), which forces its way out of the bushing. Sure looks like it sometimes.
Ed S.