[CAUT] ET or UET

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 07:02:53 MDT 2010

I've followed this thread with interest.  Thanks to Fred for bringing some historical

"legwork" to the discussion.  What's been missing for some time is a resource to

be able to hear the difference between tunings - either for performers or techs.

There are forums over at www.pianoworld.com - and a specific forum for technicians.

Recently, a very long discussion has evolved over a piano tuned in EBVT III - a mild modern

well temperament.  What's unique is that the owner has a player M&H grand and tunes

himself.  After some time, Bill Bremmer took the trip across the country to set his tuning

style on the piano and they saved the tuning using Tunelab so the owner could keep

the piano in recording condition.  He has since posted links to a large body of work -

played on the same piano, same player system using different tunings.

A word about the tuning - I personally don't feel that there is a big difference between

any number of mild well temperaments.  What does seem to make a difference is the

stretch applied.  Making the octave +5th beat match the double octave seems to provide

an especially pleasing stretch to the piano.  Bill Bremmer has provided clear aural

directions, both for the stretch and his temperament - making this an easy thing to

try for you aural techs.   Find them here :  www.billbremmer.com

Even if you don't read any of the discussion on the forum - flip through the pages to

find the links to the music.  Get a pair of headphones or some nice speakers for the

computer and give it a listen.  We're here for the music - see what your "musical ears"

think of the different genres of recordings.

Find links to the recordings here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1387799/1.html

Ron Koval

Concordia University, River Forest