[CAUT] Strange capstan reconfiguration.

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 19:08:01 MDT 2010

David asks:

What is a Hamburg D blow distance suppose to be?

I wrote:

    it would be in mm, butregardless,  the Hamburg pianos, which in my experience are built muchcloser to design and more consistently than the New York models, will havetheir hammershanks approx 3-5 mm above the rest felts.  However, you canset the blow by first getting the dip and let-off correct and then turn the capstanuntil you have your desired aftertouch. That is the proper blow distance forthat action.

David L writes;

>> Unless you decided to split the difference between the dip andblow.

   I have rarely needed to do that with a Hamburg piano. I have measured them after setting dip with the aftertouch priority method, and the actual dip is amazingly consistent.  This action seemed to have  far greater problems than this small refinement is going to overcome.

   The combination of capstans moved distally, and the 16.5 knuckle distance, makes for a real long stroke needed to send the hammer through the blow.  1 3/4" might allow a .400" dip with some aftertouch, but I think it will probably be on the low ratio side of things.  I would be interested in knowing what the action ratio is at present.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT