[CAUT] Strange capstan reconfiguration.

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 15:57:37 MDT 2010

 I found that the capstans had been moved BACK some 7mm back and then turbo Renner wippens installed. I'm wondering why?  Wouldn't moving capstans back make the action heavier?  To "fix" this, would the turbo wippens make up for this in a way.  Why mess with what was there?  This is a Steinway B from the 20's.<> All else is "normal". It plays like a truck, but I found the blow distance at 1 -7/8" instead of 1-3/4" and the jacks are waaay too far under the jacks, so that will help a bunch fixing that.
 Greetings,
     I think the blow on a B is usually supposed to be around 1 7/8", as are the D's and C's. I would be interested in what the action ratio is, and how much the hammers weigh, and what is the knuckle distance and diameter.  It would also be important to check the spread.  Also, what is the dip, and how much aftertouch there is.
  "Playing like a truck" doesn't always mean "heavy" to pianists. Sometime excess lead in the keys will give rise to this description,ie, easy to play slowly, but faster or heavier play runs into the inertia problem.
More info?

Ed Foote RPT