[CAUT] Whitening Ivories

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 24 15:18:11 MDT 2010

Hello John,
I learned a little bit about ivories from my dear friend and mentor, Bill
Smith.

To really bleach the ivories, a much stronger solution of hydrogen peroxide
is helpful.  What is typically available at the drugstore is a weak 3%.
Something more like 30% would do the job.  This is the strength that is used
in beauty salons.  I got some from the person who cuts my hair.  She poured
me some out of a commercial bottle that was already that strength.

Something else to consider is that water, and other liquids that contain
water, will soften ivory and warp it unless controlled in some fashion.  So
when you apply some of these solutions, pay attention to how wet you are
getting the ivory.  If it is still attached to the keytop, it might be OK,
but make sure the glue is not compromised in the process.  If you are trying
to bleach the ivories off of the keys, then you will have to control how
much they warp and curl.  It might help to put them in a press or under some
sort of weight.  (Bill demonstrated that he could tie a knot in an ivory
tail when it was wet.)

Also, ultraviolet rays help the process, either from a black light or the
sun (not always available in the Pacific Northwest, however....:>)

And one last reminder....not all ivory is the same.  Some are more porous
than others and will absorb your solutions differently than a more dense
piece.  A few sample tests might be prudent.

I always find it great fun to cheer up a keyboard by whitening the ivories!
I hope this is helpful.
jeannie