[CAUT] ET vs UET

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 10:59:05 MDT 2010

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Foote
  What do you hear in a 14 cent third?  It must sound out of tune, because there is a lot of color in there.

I'll put it another way. During my first tuning lesson, the instructor asked us to see if we could tune a C3-E3 third, which he said should beat approximately 5 bps. I was the only one in the class who correctly set the third and I got it on my first try. I got it right not because I was trying to count 5 bps, but rather because to my ear, the speed of those beats sounded like they were supposed to. Anything slower sounded like the E was flat, and anything faster sounded like it was sharp. I had never even listened to a piano being tuned before that day, much less tried it myself. The extent of my tuning experience up till then was voice, trombone and guitar, though I was fairly used to hacking around on my mother's piano, which she kept regularly tuned because she taught piano.

Jeff