[CAUT] [pianotech] restoration

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 01:58:26 MDT 2010

At 15:39 -0700 21/4/10, David Ilvedson wrote:

>These YouTube videos of a Steingrabber & Sohn upright is well
>done...good craftsmanship.   In the 2nd one he uses 30% hydrogen
>peroxide in the Sun to whiten the ivories

The prior sanding of the ivories was quite unnecessary.  The job
could have been done with just peroxide (the cream, as I said, is
more convenient and labour-saving) and the ivory polished afterwards.
This way you lose no thickness of ivory.  A few months ago I bleached
a set that was far worse than this Steingraeber without needing to do
any sanding.  I don't use a buffing wheel to polish the ivory either
since that abrades the softer "summer growth" more than the harder
parts and it is always detectable.  After bleaching I remove any
scratches with P800 - 1200 wet-n-dry and then polish with chalk and
alcohol on a hard block covered with white sheep leather.  It's
almost as quick and leaves a glass-like surface.

I found his way of removing the chase bushings painfully slow and
inefficient.  All he needed to do was soak them and leave them for a
bit before pulling them out clean with small flat-nose pliers.  No
chisels (I noticed his knife was terribly blunt -- cfr. our Moroccan
turner's perfect chisel) no files.  His glue was also overcooked and
sticky.

JD