[CAUT] Unequal temperament in Chopin

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 21 09:23:07 MDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> For anyone who might not know it:
>
> Willis G. Miller: "The effects of Non-Equal Temperament on Chopin's
> mazurkas"
>
> http://www.millersrus.com/dissertation/#   doctoral dissertation,
> Univ. of Houston, 2001

Yes, interesting in that he does some sample music in various emulated
tunings (emulated on an electronic keyboard of some nature as I
recall). It gives the opportunity to listen to what effect these
tunings have. Unfortunately, he is relying completely on Jorgensen for
his historical data, and thus is completely at sea.
	BTW, for those who would like to know what a scholar wrote about
Jorgensen's Tuning, see
McGeary, Thomas Nelson. "Owen Jorgensen: Tuning: Containing the
perfection of eighteenth-century temperament, ... (book review)",
Early Keyboard Journal vol. 10, 1992, pp. 179-187.
	This is the only review I know of besides my own paper I gave a month
ago at a colloquium at Wright State University. I just came across it.
(I have a pdf of this article I'll be happy to share with those
interested, as well as my own paper. Ask off list).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm