[CAUT] ET vs UET

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 16:15:35 MDT 2010

I haven't tested it. I hope to write about it before too long. (I'm also
over a year behind in my shop work, so if someone can loan me a few 10 day
weeks or 36 hour days, it'll happen sooner.) Besides just measuring the
pitches, I would like to use it to tune a mid-19th century piano, when the
opportunity appears.

The device is a box with a single string and a clever movable fret that fits
into a series of slots covering two octaves.

Just how well it would work would depend on the patience of the user and the
particular scaling of the piano. If, for instance, the scale and wire of the
piano were the same as the scale and wire of the monochord (a possibility
with the Blanchet device), the the result could be fairly accurate.

In itself the device will be about as accurate as a guitar or mandolin with
normal frets. As a guitarist, I can tell you that guitars may produce
distortions from perfect intonation, for many reasons, but is anyone
prepared to argue that a 19th century guitar with ET spaced frets was not
intended to produce ET, and actually played in a modified meantone or WT?

(17th century harpsichords exist with built in tuning monochords, scaled in
meantone. Whether or not the result is a perfect meantone tuning, is anyone
going to argue that the intention was not really to produce meantone, and
that the result was not a "meantone-like effect"?)

My point is that, given the way Jorgensen has tried to argue against
everyone who claimed to produce ET, including Montal, usually using some
version of his "equal-beating" argument, these two devices indicate that
there were people who knew exactly what they wanted to produce, whether or
not the result would pass a PTG exam. There is no way it could produce a
meantone ot WT tuning. At some point, despite inaccuracies, a tuning is no
longer producing the effects of meantone or WT, it is producing the effects
of ET.

Incidentally, Bootman was also a composer. I'd like to tune the "Ford's
Theater" Chickering in the Wyatt Museum with Bootman's scale, and record his
music. Anybody got a trust fund you're not using?

Ed Sutton