[CAUT] ET vs UET

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 20 14:04:51 MDT 2010

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ed Sutton
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:32 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] ET vs UET

  In London, Haydn had an office/studio in Broadwood's showroom. What influence might he have had on Broadwood's tuning?
  Surely there was once a journal entry somewhere....
  es

In the big red book, Tuning, look up Haydn in the index. Haydn's principal oboist later published tuning instructions in 1820, which, if we can accept the offsets Mr. Jorgensen published, would have passed our tuning exam with a very high score. His instructions were practically identical to other instructions published pre-1800. I found this very interesting information when once I was researching a non-ET appropriate for Haydn.

Sorry, my only access to that book was at the university. Can't recall the name - Faupner? or something like that? He moved to America and opened a music store before publishing the tuning instructions.

Jeff