[CAUT] ET vs UET was RE: using as ETD

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 21:03:37 MDT 2010

And Brahms certainly wrote in a lot of outer keys.  This discussion crops up
periodically and I often think it’s justification after the fact.  Recent
research by Michael Kimbel (RPT CTE composer and musicologist) suggests very
strongly that the use of ET was in practice much earlier than those arguing
in favor of UETs based on historical precedent would probably find useful
for their position.  Arguments for UETs seem often based on a few reputable
pianists who for personal reasons find it preferable.  Certainly nothing
wrong with that.  Yet there are many pianists who don’t find it preferable
but remain somewhat silent on the subject, at least publicly.   Arguing
taste has no chance of a resolution, of course.  Arguing historical
precedent does, possibly, but the research doesn’t seem to fall in favor of
those who advocate UETs for that reason.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Okay, but then it wouldn't have occurred to me that 1880 or thereabouts was
still early in the 19th century. In that case, Brahms surely qualifies for
your survey? Anyway, I've kind of lost the point here; is it that a
predilection for keys far from C suggests less tolerance for temperaments
other than ET?

Laurence