[CAUT] using as ETD

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 17 19:24:03 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Kline" <skline at peak.org>

> Not that a tuner with an excellent ear and a good ETD used right couldn't
> achieve that -- but is it as satisfying as "cooking from scratch"?

And that is exactly what every aural tuner says until they are "born again".
But the realization becomes: Why does that possibly matter? What does
"satisfying" have to do with anything? The goal is a solidly tuned piano,
and guess what, I might just like some qualities of this aided tuning better
than my own. When the tuning has evaporated, so has all that extra effort
that went into cooking from scratch. Then, nobody will care how you did it,
they just want it done again. When the bread has been eaten, unless you have
one basket of homemade yeast rolls to compare the frozen ones to, (and if
then even) nobody can tell the difference but the cook, who didn't have to
get up at 3 am to make them. And then the cook might even just realize that
even though she loves mom's recipe she's always gone by, there is something
about what's in these prefab ones that is just as good or better, in a
different way.

Or, dumplings might be a better example, because you mix them in with all
the other flavors of the stew.

I realize you say you don't feel drained after a full day of tuning. But you
can't possibly understand the difference until you've done it both ways.

Jeff