[CAUT] soundboard "stress test"

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sat Apr 17 13:14:08 MDT 2010

Our restoration shop just received a piano that's been subjected to a
pretty bizarre accident (or perhaps vandalism - we don't know) at a
school. We believe a fire burned in a rubbish bin directly underneath
this Model A (number 400028). Below you can see the results; the
soundboard got so hot that the varnish bubbled on the top side, yet
the underside suffered no actual charring or burning (note in the
second photo how the soot has been wiped away by my thumb in one
spot). The last two photos reveal that enough soot was pouring up
through the two holes in the underside (at the sustain pedal and the
plate bolt) so as to leave a residue.

It seems to me this would be a tricky thing to pull off even if one
were deliberately trying to do it; specifically I mean getting the
board heated just enough to bubble the varnish, but not so hot it
that things caught fire and burned. A pretty flukey event! I suppose
there must have been just enough stuff in the bin to burn for just
long enough (and hot enough) to cause only this amount of damage.

The soundboard seems fine, still has plenty of power etc. We'll be
replacing it, since the instrument is covered by insurance and it
seems the prudent thing to do. But I wonder if anyone with more
knowledge than I about internal wood structure will have an opinion
on whether any lasting damage to the board will in fact have
occurred, and if so how it might affect the tone or longevity?

Sincerely,

Allen Wright
London, UK