[CAUT] temperament

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 13 21:35:00 MDT 2010

On Apr 13, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> his crude instructions make my point; they leave latitude to adjust
> the temperament within an acceptable range, much as tuners today
> tweak ET.

They "leave latitude" I suppose. More likely, they simply accept a
wider degree of tuning variability, as do most practicing musicians of
today and of the past. Violinists do not tune their fifths within a
tolerance of one cent, for instance, nor do an oboe and a flute trying
to create a just major third (in the course of performing a piece)
manage to do so within more than perhaps the tolerance of two cents.
In my own recreation of that past, I believe that musicians tuning
their own keyboard instruments (stringed ones, not organs) were
somewhat similarly accepting of a range of error that a modern piano
technician would find absurdly broad and unacceptably sloppy.
	In any case, I believe Rameau knew what he meant, whether or not he
could achieve it with the accuracy demanded by the 20th and 21st
centuries. And I believe we do a disservice to the understanding of
history if we project back onto a Rameau or a person following his
lead, and try to claim that that person would "artistically alter" the
tuning. I think it is far more likely that they would do as I did when
I first learned to tune ET, via a circle of fifths, and do the best
they could and call it good enough. Maybe a the results would be
randomly different patterns, and maybe we would notice the difference
between "randomly varied ET like tuning" and "pure ET" in the actual
performance of music, or maybe we wouldn't. I don't think it has been
proved either way, however much we may theorize. Who has done the
rigorous testing? I don't know of any.
	In any case, I brought up Rameau, not to say anything about his
advocacy of ET (which had little immediate practical effect, immediate
meaning decades in his case), but simply to note his honest
observation concerning the dominant tuning of his time and place,
French Ordinaire. He found that often intervals sounded quite jarring.
His reaction was much the same as I believe would be the reaction of
most of us today, including this quote from a couple days ago:
"temperaments so extreme that they're initially jarring, but they're
fine for music intended for them--but that repertoire is limited and
takes getting used to."
	Our ears aren't really different from that of our forebears, or so I
have come to believe.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu