[CAUT] [SPAM] Re: using as ETD, was Re: Too tall!!??

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 12 08:54:05 MDT 2010

Elwood,
Aurally tuning 30 Hamiltons in practice rooms is drudgery. But knowing that you can start with A0, be through in less time and move on without the struggle and fight of that aural temperament just makes your day easier. And if it's easier for 30 Hamiltons that means its easier for every piano.

Also, you know the times when you have 45 minutes to go through the concert piano because you broke a string in the piano you were working on just before that and it made you late getting in the hall? You know how no matter how many times you've tuned this concert grand this month, some days you can just get hung up on something that doesn't seem to work out right in the temperament, so the aural tuning takes a little longer? Well, that doesn't happen with the ETD. You've got the confidence to know that 45 minutes is a gracious plenty time to get through that tuning and do a thorough job and the recitalist will be confident in it as well.

One day I had an appointment with a church in Columbia for two spinets - a 35 year old Baldwin 500, I think, in the sanctuary, and a 60 year old Wurlitzer in the choir room. About the time I got to the church I realized I'd left my tools on a piano bench at my store in Lexington -- 20 miles back to where I'd just come from. But I carry a back up tuning kit and decided to do the tunings aurally, rather than reschedule the appoinment. I'm a pretty darn good aural tuner. My exam scores support that. But after 45 minutes into this Baldwin tuning, I was still trying to make the temperament into something acceptable and getting frustrated, because I knew whatever tuning errors I left in the temperament would expand throughout the piano and nothing would sound decent. It was getting late in the day and the music director was waiting for me to finish to lock the church back up. I wound up having to reschedule the Wurlitzer because it had gotten late, and
 the Baldwin had me brain-drained.  The next time I was back at that church, I made sure I had my tool bag with me, including my SAT. The tuning went smoothly because I've done who knows how many of these with the SAT and know that the temperament doesn't work, but the rest of the piano surely does.

It just makes our work and our quality of life better.
Jeff