[CAUT] using as ETD, was Re: Too tall!!??

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 22:30:12 MDT 2010

The amount of stress probably depends on work load, which I fully understand. We on the left coast also are blessed with a very even climate, so unless a piano is banged to death or left in a sunny window, our work tends to hang on pretty well, sometimes for years.

If I have to do concert work in a roaring hurry, sure I feel stress. Otherwise, just puttering along, and not doing too many a week -- it's sort of like meditation. In fact, some customers tell me it's restful listening to it.

We're all in different situations, and we're also different people, and we're different ages. I'm easing off the workload, thankful that I can.

Susan

Susan

In general, people who are reluctant to use certain tools or follow certain procedures, have never used the tools or the followed the procedures. They will use all sorts of excuses why their way of doing things are just fine, or that they can get along without a certain tool, because "they've always done it that way". Then one day they buy the tool, or follow the new procedure, and say "Hey this is really cool. I shoulda done this years ago".

There is a reason more and more highly respected concert tuners are using ETD's. They found it does the job the manufacturer of the machines, and others, have been claiming all along. As the adage says. "try it, you'll like it".

BTW, pianos in Hawaii are also very stable. I just did one this morning that I tuned a year ago. Using my SAT IV, I changed about two dozen strings maybe 1 or 2 cents. Then I went back and tuned the piano again, aurally, where I was able to concentrate on double octaves, 17th, etc. A totally relaxing morning.