[CAUT] using as ETD, was Re: Too tall!!??

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Apr 10 21:21:04 MDT 2010

>Another huge benefit of an ETD is the reduction in db and impact
>stress with octave pounding.  SAves your ears and your hands.

Hi, Jon

I never have pounded octaves. What pounding happens happens on
individual notes, in the area where they can be knocked out by
a pianist. I tune a note, whack it, then immediately play it
softly to hear it clearly, so I know that it didn't go out. The
amount of whacking varies according to how solid the unisons
already are. Stability builds up in repeated tunings. A piano
which demands a lot of banging when I first meet it gradually gets
house-trained, so it doesn't need quite so much. If I know it's
about to go through some kind of hell, I'll give it a bit more
in anticipation.

I don't see how people can do ETD tunings without the same
settling blows that aural tunings need, at least for concert
work. And if the settling blows are the same, where is the
saving of db?

What I'm glad of is not needing to wrench out bulk tunings
anymore, like practice rooms. Sometimes it's not that bad,
being in one's mid-sixties.

Nothing against people who use ETD's, obviously. And you are
tremendously in the majority at this point. I find I'm sorry
about that, and I'm also sorry about how overworked so many
techs are.

Susan