[CAUT] pin drop

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Thu Oct 29 11:45:36 MDT 2009

I'm 55, am (was?) a professional jazz pianist, began studying piano
technology at age 50, have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my new
pursuit, have met with considerable success as an independent technician,
and just this year joined the Department of Music at Howard University in
our Nation's Capital as a part-time technician (about 80 pianos in the
inventory, but really only about 50 active), and have never planned to
retire.  It just doesn't seem like it would be fun!

Being small of stature and starting in my 50s, I have never felt that I
could undertake 4 tunings a day, rebuilding, moving, or other very heavy
work.  I undertake some re-pinning (tuning pins), lots of grand action
reconditioning/rebuilding.  Tuning in jazz clubs and jazz festivals, I put
on plenty of strings.  Being at the University is augmenting my skill set,
teaching me case and bench repairs (using a drill more often than before!).
I do plan to be installing sets of hammers at the Universtiy, but I may
order them pre-hung.

Being healthy, I do hope to be able to sustain my present work pace until
I'm at least 70.  I must acknowledge, however, that my energy has flagged in
my 50s, as compared to even 40s.  Hopefully the slowdown can be slowed
through healthy habits; trying to learn some of those now (jazz musician).
:)

I personally know one person in their 20s who attended North Bennett Street
and graduated as an RPT last year.  Spiritually, I think the work we do
requires that a person be in a certain "space" that most young people,
myself included, are not in.  But those of us meant to find this work, do
find it, and always will.  Fortunately -- because as I pianist I can attest
that it's extremely important work, often unsung, but important nonetheless.
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Howard University Department of Music
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com