[CAUT] Fw: liszt

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Oct 22 10:48:58 MDT 2009

Looks kind of like a piano competition schedule, which I've done before.
Presumably this will all be on the same piano?  If not, that relieves
some time pressures, but increases the worry that the pianos are in peak
condition.

It will go well if you know the piano well, get it pre-tuned solidly,
then make sure you can be in the hall at every break.  You don't get to
eat meals with the others, but the piano will sound nice!

Lots of short touch up sessions, and a thorough tuning and check of the
piano each day (either late at night or first thing in the morning) will
make sure the piano stays in good shape.  At competitions technician
frequently gets in the hall at 5:00am and go over the piano before
everything starts for the day.

You might look into the A/C and lights situation as well, and exert some
influence on keeping the room as stable as possible.  Arrange for the
A/C to stay on 24 hours during this event.  If you like working in the
morning like I do, come in and turn the lights on right away.  Go
through the action regulation and check pedal adjustment / lubrication,
and have some coffee or something, for an hour while the piano warms up.
Then do a thorough tuning.   Your middle of day touch ups will also be
with the lights on.

A day or two off after the event will feel very good, especially if the
piano sounded great all the way through!  A nice feather in your cap,
too, although maybe you don't really like feathers . .

Don Mannino

  _____