[CAUT] Fw: liszt

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 22 10:40:40 MDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone out there dealt with a HUGE piano festival as you can
> check out on the first attachment. (I don't know why Dr. Barnes put
> his signature on here!).  It doesn't look physically doable to keep
> the piano in wonderful tune, and would love some advise on how to
> handle so many piano pieces in such a short amount of time.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

	Quite a star-studded affair! Some great music and great musicians.
Yes, it looks like a challenge, but in fact it looks easier than a
competition, since there are gaps within the day and they don't start
all that early. Often a competition piano is used without break from 8
am to 8 pm or the like.
	I guess my best advice is first to just do your best and accept the
results. That's life as a concert tech, and that's part of what all
cauts are. You have to develop a thick enough skin to accept that you
aren't perfect. But second, I'd try to get blocks of time secured
ahead of time (schedule them now) in the hall, and try to make them as
firm as possible (realizing that they won't be entirely firm, that
there will have to be some give). And third, just nail the unisons.
Nail them solid. Forget other considerations for the most part. Have
the piano(s) set up well at the beginning, and then just deal with
unison creep, which shouldn't require more than 15-30 minutes a piano
if you are focused and have a nice fairly silent hall.
	Good luck! And try to have some fun and enjoy the music.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu