[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 18 17:57:36 MDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

> And I think the above states it pretty well: people don't necessarily
> understand the whole she-bang, because it is very confusing. Lots of
> different elements going on at once. We focus on where we want the pitch
> to be as our number one priority in general, especially while learning
> the trade, but later as well whether consciously or "intuitively." And
> the focus actually needs to be on "where the heck am I?" Where is the
> position of the pin relative to where it needs to be? Where the string
> happens to be just now (the sound of the pitch) is somewhat irrelevant.
> You may pass over the right spot a hundred times without ever getting
> the pin in the correct spot. It is rather easy to put a string
> temporarily in the right spot.
> So the concept I was outlining is a way to reduce confusion, if not
> entirely eliminate it. If using Dan's hammer helps, by all means, go for
> it. I'm not confused any more, but after nearly 30 years of this, it is
> still a tremendous challenge to accomplish a really acceptable tuning,
> one where all the unisons are very, very good, and very very solid. Two
> big major elements: being able to move the pin an extraordinarily small
> amount, and knowing where the heck you are at all times.

This is why I've said for many years that there's no such
thing as hammer technique. Visualization and understanding of
what's physically happening from what you hear (or see on the
display), and what you feel is where the technique and finesse
is. The tool you use to manipulate the pin is, well, a hammer.
The wetware is what makes the pieces fit.

And the intentional flagpole compensation for the turn lag
between the top and bottom of the pin - I remember noticing
that back when I first began to learn to tune. After over 30
years, I'm still trying to learn to tune, but the flagpole
thing is just as useful and just as valid now as it was back
then. I've tried to describe it to others many times over the
years, with very little success. I think Les Bartlett got it,
but most folks didn't seem to. Some consider it obvious.

I hope you and David have better luck. It's on my list as a
standard survival component.

Ron N