[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Oct 18 10:45:17 MDT 2009

On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> Hi Fred, and anyone else,
> Can you take your description of downward and upward motion a step
> further?  I’ve been hearing conflicting descriptions of this
> recently in private communications.  What I’m asking is
> specifically….when the pitch needs to go up, do you lift up on the
> end of the tuning lever at the same time there is a slight rotation
> to sharpen?  And conversely, does one push down and rotate slightly
> flat?  I’ve had the opposite described and just want to get a sense
> of how most people interpret this deliberate flag-poling motion.
> I’ve always used it the way I’ve described.  Have I been climbing up
> the wrong flagpole all these years????  :>)
> jeannie

	I can't speak for anybody else, but in my own practice, I make us of
flagpoling consciously as a way to "compensate for" the combination of
bearing friction and tuning pin twist.
	Tuning pin twist varies depending on friction in the block, usually
called torque. When there is high torque to overcome, the top of the
pin twists a good bit before it moves as a whole in the block. This
pulls considerably on the string. But how much the pitch changes
before the pin begins to move is dependent on bearing friction.
Usually, pitch moves before the pin actually rotates. So in that case,
I flagpole the pin toward the string (push down on a grand, pull out
on an upright), and I try to do so just enough so that when I feel the
pin move in the block, I simultaneously hear the pitch begin to change
(or see it on an ETD display).
	I find that by doing this consciously and consistently, I have a much
better idea at all times of exactly where the tuning pin is relative
to where I want it to be. In the end, what matters is precisely how
much and to what position you turn the pin. That's what leaves you in
a stable condition.
	What I aim for is to move both the pin and the string the precise
amount necessary in the direction needed, no overshoot. I'm not saying
it is always possible, but often it is very nearly possible. In fine
tuning, I will often bear down on the hammer (assuming raising pitch)
so that I feel the pin move a tiny bit and the pitch hasn't moved at
all. Then I manipulate the hammer, flagpoling upward to pull the
string across bearing points and see whether it has moved enough (or
too much or not enough) by wiggling the hammer - essentially the
method Steve Brady has written about and taught for many years. The
idea here is to focus on the feel of the pin, and on moving it/nudging
it the tiniest possible amount without the confusing feedback of pitch
change. It also separates the movement of the pin and the movement of
the string into two tiny controlled movements, which is a lot easier
to keep track of.
	If there is a lot of friction, things change. In that case, I will
often pull up on the lever while turning it, adding flagpoling to the
inescapable twisting. Lowering pitch has a different feel, and with
high friction I will usually press down to help move the string, with
harder blows.
	But the principle always remains the same: do the amount of
flagpoling in the appropriate direction that will get as close as
possible to having the pitch and the pin move in sync. Sometimes that
means no flagpoling at all. I should add to all this that I assume a
12 o'clock position so that the flagpoling of the pin at a right angle
to the lever (that happens because the lever is higher than the pin)
doesn't enter the equation, and so that pulling up and pushing down
has the maximum effect (is in line with the string).
	Dan Levitan's invention more or less eliminates flagpoling altogether
by putting the point where you are activating the lever in the same
plane as the pin in the block. That is an entirely different concept,
and one that is at odds with my own method. But it certainly might
work well for others.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico