[CAUT] Newton Hunt's piano bench

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 11 15:12:40 MDT 2009

Susan Kline wrote:

> The ones I hate are uprights stuck in a corner, close to a right-hand wall.

Yup. I even have a couple that are built into the wall, or are
at least in a recess built specifically for them. I tuned one
in just such a cave, that didn't even have enough room
overhead to lift the lid to get inside. They were really put
out that I pulled the thing out to tune it and, thankfully,
haven't called me back.

One of my colleges has three P22s pushed treble side in the
corner, and one with a huge bookcase up against the treble.
One year, the bookcase was empty, so I moved it about 8" over
and left it there. I leave the treble corner pianos with about
that distance between the side and the wall, and have
explained why to what should have been the appropriate people,
but I still have to haul them out twice a year.

And no, I'm not interested in learning to tune left handed.
I'll be busy enough deleting the dozens of posts suggesting that.
Ron N