[CAUT] Wrest pins

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 8 17:32:07 MDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> I'd be interested in seeing what sort of clamping device one should
> use when drilling holes in those tuning pins (tapered, no threads).
> I tried to make one, but my results were mixed...darn.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, Illinois

I have a drill press vise that has four pivoting surfaces - two facing
two - that will accommodate tapered and odd shaped things. I'll attach
a photo. Then it's a matter of center-punching, and using some oil
while drilling. I've done a whole set at least a couple times if not
more, and it isn't TOO bad a job (not that much fun, though). I think
this style of vise is pretty readily available.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu