[CAUT] Goldberg Variations report

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Oct 7 09:06:18 MDT 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Donald McKechnie wrote:

> I started out with Valotti/Young since it is nicely centered on G. I
> also tried Kirnberger and Werckmeister. All of these three worked
> well for the most part but there were certain passages in a number
> of the variations where things got too spicy. I tried a few others
> from rollingball.com but the results were similar.
>
> I was not getting anywhere with the temperaments so I decided to
> practice that old tradition of Tuner's Discretion. Since Valotti/
> Young is centered on G I tweaked a few of the accidentals thus
> slowing down some of the thirds. I put this tuning on the
> instruments for the dress rehearsal. They said this worked well. I
> was not at the dress so this modified temperament is what I used for
> the recital.
>
> What I heard in the recital is a bit different from the report I got
> after the dress rehearsal. I found the modified Valotti/Young a bit
> too spicy for my taste in certain passages. For the most part the
> faster variations sounded pretty good but there were times in most
> of the slow variations where it did not work for me. The one
> exception was the slow variation #25. It really worked on this
> piece. Quite surprising!

	Very interesting account. The back and forth between not spicy enough
and too spicy is quite revealing. Lehman is not spicy enough, but
Vallotti is too spicy. They are really quite close, and I'd say Lehman
would be about the best choice for someone who wanted a temperament
like Vallotti but a bit milder. Essentially, Vallotti is a string of
six 1/6 comma 5ths (about twice as narrow as ET, 3.6 cents narrow)
together with a string of six just 5ths. Lehman basically just takes
one of those 1/6 comma 5ths and divides its narrowness between two
5ths (two 1/12 comma 5ths, about ET size, 1.8 cents narrow). The
details (if you include the "schisma" 5th, which is 2 cents narrow),
makes it just a little bit milder still, but the difference is quite
subtle. The widest 3rds become slightly smaller than Pythagorean,
while Vallotti does have three Pythagorean thirds (two i you account
for the schisma 5th, which Vallotti did - I don't remember just now
what Young did, whether he was using syntonic or Pytahgorean comma
5ths).
	 With Kirnberger III and Werckmeister, you have the same Pythagorean
thirds as Vallotti (more of them in Kirnberger), but the narrow 5ths
can sound pretty objectionable to someone unaccustomed to mean tone.
  	Tweaking a few accidentals is a tricky business, as any individual
change has more than one additional consequence (there is an equal and
opposite one, but others as well). If you move an accidental in
Vallotti, you are narrowing one pure 5th, but widening another, so you
are adding to the total "out of tuneness" of the thirds, taken as a
whole. Really, I think you have to have a total structure in mind and
follow a pattern (meaning, practically speaking, a chain of 5ths), or
you are almost bound to run into trouble. If you want to emulate what
tuners did then, I think that the Werckmeister practical instructions
I posted a link to earlier is a good starting point. http://www.polettipiano.com/Pages/pag1engpaul.html

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico