[CAUT] Forte pianos

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Fri Oct 2 12:12:10 MDT 2009

Hi, Paul,

I'm not sure where they got their information.  There are fortepianos
aplenty around the country.  The rare instrument at UNL is the pedal
clavichord.  It consists of 2 manuals (two clavichords) and a pedal
board (a bass clavichord).  It wasn't long ago that UNL had the only
pedal clavichord in the US.  I think there were only 2 or 3 world
wide.  The builder had to do quite a bit of research to figure out
how to build a pedal clavichord.  Evidently it used to be quite
common as a "home" practice instrument for organists.  If an organist
wanted to play the organ, he had to hire someone to pump the
bellows.  UNL's instrument was commissioned as a research
instrument.  The organ faculty wanted to know how organists practiced
and how it might have affected playing technique.  There may be more
of these instruments now.  As you know pedal clavichords are a bear
to tune since there are three clavichords in one instrument;  all
three have to tuned together.

Richard West,  UNL piano technician emeritus