[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 11:19:27 MDT 2009

In a message dated 10/1/2009 11:40:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dporritt at mail.smu.edu writes:

I’d be interested in how  you are evaluating these improvements.  If you
remove a noisy agraffe  from a piano to polish and improve it, you are also
putting on new  strings.  How do you separate the one improvement from the
other?  I  did restring the agraffe sections of a piano earlier this year for
just this  purpose (i.e. there was nothing wrong with the strings, it was the
agraffes  that needed to be replaced).  The improvement was very noticeable
though  I didn’t do anything to the new agraffes.  I don’t know how I
would  evaluate the difference between a new agraffe and new-and-highly-refined
agraffe.
David:

This is a research design question that we have been pondering for a good
long while. David Carpenter is working with me to see whether we can come up
 with a suitable measurement system that controls the variables.