[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 09:03:18 MDT 2009

In a message dated 10/1/2009 7:12:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:
>     Of what  detriment are chatter marks parallel to the string, in
>   real world practically detectable terms?
>
> They  are not parallel to the string, they generally cross the string at
> 90  degrees in multiple lines, some deeper than others, but all creating
>  a cross ridge line to the direction of the string. .

I'm just  wondering, because every chatter mark I've ever
produced with a rotary  tool has been parallel to the cutting
edges of the tool, which would make  it parallel to the string
in this case.

>      If the result produces no detectable penalty, has the sin
>   occurred?
>
> This is not the battle of good and  evil, folks. This is an audible (to
> me and others) improvement in  tone quality (measurable I am hoping as we
> continue to put together  the research). I'd recommend we all (you, Ron,
> Fred, Jeff) quit  putting up stalking horses until we have data.

I'm just trying to get  some sensible connection here, not
waging war. For instance, you've stated  that abrasive cord is
a terrible thing because of all the scratches it  leaves. These
scratches are quite small and as exactly parallel to the
string as you could produce, and the cord will somewhat round
abrupt  changes of contour in the hole. Why is this so terrible?
Abrasive cord is extremely difficult to control both in depth of cut and
angle. Trying to create a clean radial surface is almost impossible. As I
said,  I have no problem with its use in emergencies and on the paint in stair
balusters.

>If the
> data are negative or neutral, then  clearly a different conclusion might
> be reached. But part of the data  so far is experiential and
> incontrovertible. That it is subjective  and not quantifiable yet doesn't
> obviate it.

If it were a  binary condition - sounds wonderful, sounds
nasty, (nearly) everyone would  agree that polishing agraffes
is mandatory. But that's not the case. It's  a diminishing
returns thing,
As I said to Fred...

like  virtually everything else we do. Being
mortal, we don't have infinite time  to pursue perfection in
every aspect of everything we do. When time is  spent making
one thing as perfect as possible (by whatever chosen criteria
for judgment), at the expense of time that could have been
spent  making something else less annoying, it's a questionable
use of that time.  Balance. And in the end, it still comes down
to whether the individual  considers the result worth the
price, not who's right and who's wrong. If  the abrasive cord
satisfies this guy, and the reamer and quick polish  satisfies
that guy, neither have done any damage.
Quite the opposite, improvement is improvement if indeed it's improvement.
If abrasive cord satisfies you, or the reamer, then go for it. I frankly
don't  care other than if there is additional knowledge to be gained and
shared by  paying particular attention to elements (even the tiniest) of the
vibratory  system, then it's worth exploring. Skepticism has notable historical
diminishing  returns, too. :-) As you say, balance...

Ron  N