[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 01:18:25 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/30/2009 9:59:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
fssturm at unm.edu writes:

On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:48 PM, _PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com_
(mailto:PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com)   wrote:

In a message dated 9/30/2009 4:22:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
_amccoy at ewu.edu_ (mailto:amccoy at ewu.edu)   writes:

Your results may vary.

Wow, they sure may.

We have a lot of pictures of the results of using differing tools on  the
inside of the agraffe. The countersink tool creates a very rough  surface
because of uncontrollable chatter.

Well, I know it borders on heresy, but I am a well  known heretic anyway,
so I am going to ask the question: at what point in  treatment of agraffes
does one get beyond what really  matters?
Very reasonable question, and one that we ponder as we do this work.

How  perfect is perfect enough?
I don't know yet.

Is there  an actual, perceptible sonic result from this microscopically
visible chatter  caused by a carefully used countersink?
Yes.

I grant  the polished profile from various recommended treatments looks
wonderful, and  probably is an ideal to aim at. But how much time is it really
worth?
As much as you want to spend on perfecting the system. Obvious there is a
point of diminishing returns, where the perfect gets in the way of the
optimal.

After  all, the capo is probably more pitted and scratched, looked at
through a  microscope, than a badly chattered agraffe hole.
No, just different shapes. It's brass after all, under same stresses and
strains as the capo. I'm quite surprised that there isn't significantly more
noise from the agraffes.

And  those terminations are far more critical, it seems to me.
Interesting differentiation. Slippery slope, too. :-)

Cheers,

Paul

Regards,
Fred Sturm