[CAUT] beating a dead dog?

ari isaac isaac at isaacpiano.com
Fri Nov 27 13:33:19 MST 2009

Lawrence Libin raises a good and valid point when he talks about piano
players, students, being made aware of the pianos workings and maintenance.
Whether or not college technicians would be the ones to teach courses it is,
in my view, PTG whose responsibility it is to make piano teachers and,
through them, the piano owning and playing public aware.  There has been
talk and some placid effort in that deirection for many, many years but
nothing consistent or effective.
 Toronto, where I live, is a large city: we have over 3 million people, two
major concert halls, one symphony orchestra, two professional choires, one
opera house, two amateur sym. orchestras and a music conservatory with a
good size music school.  We've produced some well known pianists like Glen
Gould and Oscar Peterson, to name just two.  Now, you could have lived here
for the past fifty years and owned and been playing a piano but unless you
were a piano technician - you wouldn't once have heard of PTG.  This is not
a complaint, just a statement of fact.  Making the public at large or the
piano playing public or the music student body or the piano teaching
profession aware of pianos, their worgkings and maintenance, does not seem
to be a PTG priority.  Ok, it is what it is.

I make the bold and, i hope, wrong, assumption that the situation is the
same in most large cities in North America.

Ari Isaac.