[CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:47:44 MST 2009

Getting the underlever out isn't a problem. To get it back in, first, using an old-fashioned long L-shaped spring tool, seat the spring on a _neighboring_ underlever so that the spring is out of the way. Put in the underlever and its screw, then, taking a deep breath and using a Bend-A-Light type flashlight to light the interior of the action, carefully move the underlever spring back into place, still using that old-fashioned long spring tool to reach from the opposite side _over_ the underlever being replaced to retrieve the spring on the underlever on the other side. Reward yourself when complete. You did good.

Kent