[CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

DCyr141833 at aol.com DCyr141833 at aol.com
Thu Nov 26 08:11:05 MST 2009

Renner & Tokiwa damper underlever kits come with underlever springs,  and
instructions for installing them.  It's a little tougher if you're not
replacing the complete back-action, but you can retro-fit an underlever system
that doesn't have springs, to one that has springs, by adding little felt
blocks  on the arm of the underlever.   Once springs are installed it is very
easy to weigh-off the underlevers, adjusting the spring at the coil to
either  make the spring tension heavier or lighter.  I've been doing this for
years, and assume you all know what I mean.  Weight is taken with a  Corex
tension gauge, needle positioned at the front end of the underlever.   Weight
goes from around 32 grams at #1 and tapers to the end of the spring
section, matching the 1st underlever without a spring.  The Renner kit
instructions come with the Chris Robinson instructions that have the gram weight  specs
on the back page.  They don't, however, show how to manipulate the  spring
at the coil to get these spring tensions.  I've got photos  somewhere, if
anyone want to know.
I am a BIG fan of springs on underlevers, and disagree totally with
Steinway's line of not needing springs on underlevers, and that it is part of  the
Steinway sound.  Sometimes the best sound is no sound!

Debbie  Cyr
Registered Piano Technician
508-202-2862 cell

In a message dated 11/25/2009 11:03:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,