[CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 20:22:51 MST 2009

If an action is set up correctly, I believe it can handle the addition of underlever springs. I routinely install damper underlever springs with all new back actions, and even retrofit underlever springs when installing new dampers.

The benefit of improved damping outweighs any possible touchweight problems, as far as I am concerned, not that I have encountered any such touchweight problems.

It is a bit difficult to quantify touch-weight problems that might result from underlever springs since touchweight is generally considered without damper involvement at all, of course. The only "problem" I have ever been concerned about is on actions with wipp support springs. In those actions, during pianissimo playing, the underlever spring can seem to add enough resistance to make the let-off bump a bit more noticeable than "usual." But no pianist has yet complained.

Kent Swafford