[CAUT] who pays?

Dorothy Bell dabell58 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 15:41:38 MST 2009

Hi, Dennis --

Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds as if you were called by a customer who was hard to satisfy and didn't like paying his bills. There were some tip-offs -- history of difficulties between customer and dealer was one, and the customer not being there to let you in was the second. Implications: he was an argumentative person from the get-go, and he didn't want to take the trouble to be responsive to you even by letting you into the house himself. So it doesn't surprise me that the customer didn't pay you. You may not have been the only person in his life that he has balked at paying.

At this point, because of similar experiences, I only take new customers if they will be in the house themselves at the first visit;  we go over the work to be done and the cost at that point. And there have been customers in my life who have never paid me -- they were too disturbed to follow through, and trying to chase them down dis-spirited me too much. Sometimes I just have to cut my losses, when doing that is cost-effective. I would not go back to the customer you describe. Life is too short. Move on.

It's unfortunate that the dealer became a player here. (That's why I changed the subject line.) You had no arrangement with him, and I don't think he should have been obligated to pay you. His getting involved was a result of arm-twisting by the customer, and you became a factor in his quarrel. Bad feelings all around. If I were in a mood to be a purist, I probably would have sent back the dealer's check, because taking it muddied the waters. The customer is the person who owes you. Let him fight with the dealer all he wants, but he needs to pay you.

I have no idea what this has to do with CAUT -- I can't find a tie-in. Sorry about that.

Best wishes,
Dorrie Bell
Bell's Piano Service
Boston, MA