[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 09:21:53 MST 2009

David,
I agree with almost everything you've said here except for a couple of minor
points.

If I am being paid by the dealer to do a warranty tuning or more, then I am
obligated to report back to them.  If I am being paid by the client, then I
advocate for them, but a good relationship with the dealer makes all the
difference.

In this particular geographic area, the recession has played a bit of a part
on the prepping of pianos before sale, but generally, over the years, I have
seen a consistent attitude to do as little as they can get away with.  I
would say a majority of pianos, from different dealers, have gone out the
door with nothing more than a quick tuning and fixing an obvious
malfunction.

We all know there are brands that come out of the box needing much less than
others.  But do they need absolutely nothing?  If one dealer in the area
does nothing, it creates a climate in the "neighborhood" for the others to
do nothing.  The manufacturers seem to allow this.  This is one of the
things I've been talking about.
jeannie